This is about to get SCANDALOUS.
I play World of Warcraft. Now, before you go all judgmental on me I would like to make note the follow things:
- I do not live in my parent’s basement. In fact, I live in Florida and we don’t even have basements here for the most part. I have my own apartment. Sorta. I have a roommate.
- I go out with my friends OUTSIDE IN REAL LIFE on a regular basis.
- I am not a half-naked, 40 year old man stalking innocent women on the internet.
- I do not spend all day at my computer eating Cheetos. Usually I just drink water.
- I exercise daily.
- I prefer human contact over contact with my keyboard.
Now moving right along…
One of the neat things about WoW is creating your character. Designing the cutest character with the cutest pigtails is fun. But unfortunately, often times people don't actually SEE the effort you put into your pixel appearance. However, naming your character is something that everyone will see. The name of your character can sometimes have the power to make or break your interaction with the other people playing WoW. Example, naming your character (and yes, I did run into this, yes I gagged, yes I reported them) “Kumdumpster” isn’t necessarily going to do you any good in your pixelated endeavors, especially if your character is female.
- People will assume you are an under-sexed teenage boy and will shy away from you.
- People will assume you are an undersexed middle-aged man and shy away from you.
- People will assume you are a female tramp.
- You will eventually get a forced name change and/or banned.
There will be the occasional “LOL, NICE NAME, DUDE!” but for the most part, the internet goers you interact with will hate you.
On the opposite end of this spectrum (these usually reside on Role Playing servers) are the overly fanatic names. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just keep in mind, though, that if you’re going to refer to yourself as Belebridien Da’Grial Silentarrow, you will attract a certain crowd. Many RPers, handle it.
Usually the best action to take is picking a simple name somewhere in the middle (unless you want to RP, or unless you like the negative attention naming yourself “Kumdumpster” would get you).
Most importantly, MAKE YOUR NAME AWESOME! There’s a fine line between awesome and overdone, but it’s totally possible to find it.
Take the lovely person RC and I got to talk to last night. Her (it was a female character, but always assume whoever you are talking to is a guy because it most likely is) name was Rebacca. It seems simple. A nice spin-off of Rebecca but what matters is what it IMPLIES.
What we gathered from Rebacca was that she/he was the love child of Chewbacca and Reba McEntire. HOW AMAZIN IS THAT?
+
=
RC took a close up picture for us here:
(He's the better artist.)
Essentially what we have on our hands now is the Galactic Empires next number one singing sensation. A ginger singing sensation no less.
"I remeber it all very well lookin' back
It was the summer I turned 18 in a one room, rundown shack
On the outskirts of Kashyyk
We didn't have money for food or rent
To say the least we were hard pressed
Then Attichitcuk spent every last penny we had
To buy me a dancin' dress
...
He said here's your one chance Chewie don't let me down
Here's your once chance Chewie don't let me down!"
And you know what the real Rebacca did? (S)he said that our mothers would be ashamed of the nasty things we were saying. Seriously? We were talking about what an amazing name they had. It isn’t like we were explicitly describing their conception. She has the potential to rule the internet and she gets OFFENDED.
Still on the subject of WoW names, you should watch the following. It was like pulling teeth getting this video segment extracted from the original, but alas I managed to get the excessive, dorky Machinima removed for you.
Rebacca needs more pride in her given name like Mr. Fluffypinkbunnyman the warrior.




XD That was freakin' awesome, I totally agree with the naming your toon something that isn't over the top but that isn't over done. Yes, I play WoW as well >.>
ReplyDeleteHAHA! It's totally true. I actually only have one toon name that I absolutely love. Solstyce, and she's a shammy. <3
ReplyDelete